Reports To: Camp Site Director (at assigned day camp site), Assistant Camp Director
City Camp is a summer day camp program sponsored and run by the Offices of the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania. City Camp seeks to help children, youth, and communities encounter God and connect with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We do this by building strong networks and providing high-quality camp programs for Episcopal parishes, missions, and schools in the greater Philadelphia area.
The Counselor supports City Camp programming by leading and supervising campers during the day camp program.
The Counselor’s duties include:
- Working with day camp team to implement and evaluate camp programming.
- Works with day camp team to design and implement camp activities.
- Assists Site Director and Assistant Camp Director in evaluation of camp programming.
- Leading small and large group activities with campers.
- Providing supervision and care for campers.
- Direct campers in their assigned camper groups through camp activities.
- Manages camper behavior using positive behavior management techniques.
- Assists campers with personal health problems as needed.
- Implementing safety and risk management guidelines.
- Reports any facility and maintenance needs to the Site Director.
- Reports any supply or equipment concerns to the Site Director.
- Attending all required team trainings and meetings.
- Attend all City Camp team trainings and meetings.
- Attend day camp team meetings as needed with the Site Director.
- Serving as a role model to fellow team members, campers, and other community members in the areas of professionalism and ministry.
- Developing and maintain healthy relationships with fellow team members, campers, parents, parish contacts, volunteers, and the host community.
- Serving as a leader within the staff community.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Site or Assistant Camp Directors, for the good of the ministry.
- Age 18 years or older.
- Have a passion and heart for working with children and youth in an urban context.
- Must be sympathetic to basic Christian teachings and have a working knowledge of the Episcopal Church.
- Flexibility to work in various locations and environments.
- Strong creativity, communication, and organizational skills.
- Must have (or be willing to obtain) first aid and CPR certification.
- Musical talent is not required, but a plus.
- Desire to learn and grow physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Ability to stand, sit, and kneel for long periods of time.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
- Ability to lift and carry boxes, crates, and other program supplies.
- Endurance to work irregular hours and long days while constantly providing care for and supervising campers.
Make application at http://www.diopayouth.org/work-at-city-camp.html.