Galilee is owned and operated by the Episcopal Diocese of Nevada and is located on the eastern shore of Lake Tahoe. The camp offers 8 weeks of program during the summer, including a Counselor Training session, week-long sessions for youth ages 7-17, and two Family Camps. Galilee operates as a retreat center the rest of the year and hosts religious organizations, Buddhist and other meditation groups, and school programs, as well as a variety of other retreats. The Great Basin Outdoor School, a separate organization that provides science camp experiences for 5th and 6th graders, is on-site for 10 - 12 weeks a year.
Galilee is hiring a full-time Program Director who is responsible for the oversight of all programs including the summer camping program, the Galilee programs offered fall, winter, spring, and any off-site programming. The Program Director is also responsible for marketing of programs and the retreat center, web site design and maintenance, camp registration, the American Camp Association accreditation process, and other duties as needed. The Program Director’s duties will also include general assistance at times including hosting retreat groups, kitchen support, and general maintenance tasks. The Program Director will report to the Executive Director.
Applicants should be familiar with the Episcopal Church and be comfortable working within a religious setting, although applicants are not required to be Episcopalian. The Program Director will work closely with the summer Resident Chaplain to provide a meaningful spiritual experience for a diverse camper and staff community.
The position begins in November 2014, although a later start date is possible. Room and board is provided in addition to an annual salary of $18,000 - $22,000, DOE. Also provided is health insurance, including dental, and employer supported participation in the Church Pension Group’s defined contribution plan. Continuing education opportunities are considered an important component of the position. Vacation is also provided.
- Reports to the Galilee Executive Director.
- Duties: The Program Director is responsible for the oversight of all programs including the summer camping program, the Galilee programs offered fall, winter, spring, and any off-site programming. The Program Director is also responsible for marketing of programs and the retreat center, web site design and maintenance, camp registration, ACA accreditation, and other duties as needed. The Program Director’s duties will also include general assistance at times including hosting groups, kitchen support, and general maintenance tasks.
Summer Camp Program
- Responsible for hiring and evaluation of other key staff, staff and counselors including marketing and correspondence, interviews, back-ground checks, and all trainings.
- Responsible for camp registration and all correspondence and communications with families.
- Responsible for the maintenance and data input into Camp Brain.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the summer camping program
- Responsible for the ACA accreditation process.
- Assist executive director with scheduling of groups and coordinating the camp calendar.
- Assist with the creation of brochures, flyers and newsletters.
- Responsible for maintaining web site, Facebook page, and internet presence in general.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of marketing displays at Galilee.
- Assist Executive Director with camp correspondence.
- Promote the camp programs at churches, conventions, etc., including Galilee day.
- Assist with the coordination of a network of parish contact persons for promotion and fundraising.
- Meet with other staff as part of the Administrative team.
- Fill in for or assist other employees as necessary.
- Participate in certain Galilee board committees, including the Program Committee.
- Responsible for communication with the staff and counselors and coordination with the alumni effort, which includes fundraising, promotion and program development including reunions and the yearly Galilee Day.