The Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Western Louisiana is currently searching for a full-time interim director of the Hardtner Camp and Conference Center near Pollock, LA. The position will be advertised until filled.
Hardtner was started in 1948 and has served continuously since then. Although it is a conference center, the main ministry is the summer camping program. A Summer Camping Committee oversees the program of the camping season. The director works with that committee to run the program. In addition, many diocesan and non-diocesan groups use the conference facilities, but not to the extent believed possible.
The conference hotel is currently being remodeled. There are other maintenance issues being addressed on the campus.
Programming outside of the camping season is an issue. Diocesan groups do use the facilities, but there has been a recent drop off in rentals by these groups. No congregation has had a vestry retreat in the last year. In addition, the most recent directors have not generated program from the center to interest guests. Marketing is an issue, also. Little to no marketing/advertising has been done in more than three years.
Currently there is a part-time interim director in place who has accomplished the following:
- Set in place Risk Management
- Got the Board to approve a drug and alcohol use policy
- Is currently developing (it is at the attorney review stage) an employee handbook.
- Developed a maintenance priority schedule
- Investigated remodeling of the swimming pool
- Established employee norms
- Updated the pricing schedule for the next two years
- Set camping dates for 2016
- Initiated a photo inventory of the property and facilities
- Started fundraising campaign to remodel Holy Day Inn rooms
- Closed and condemned a non-usable building that is awaiting demolition.
The interim director would be responsible for the following:
- Continuing to upgrade financial accounting (oversee appropriate stewardship)
- Establishing appropriate boundaries regarding registration
- Working with Summer Camping Committee to establish 2016 program
- Participating monthly in the Bishop’s Staff meetings
- Enforcing Board policies
- Overseeing continuing upgrades and maintenance
- Working with program committee to generate Hardtner programming
- Summer Camping Program
- Conference Programming and site usage
- Overseeing all staff
- Initiating protocols that will upgrade the operation of the Hardtner Camp and Conference Center.
- Hiring Hardtner staff
- Establishing gracious hosting protocols
- Preparing annual report
- Any other duties that would support the mission and ministry of the Hardtner Camp and Conference Center as determined by the Bishop of Western Louisiana or the Board of Trustees of the Hardtner Camp and Conference Center.
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- Experience in directing a camp and conference center (2+ years)
- Experience in interim ministry
- Experience working with the Episcopal Church
- Experience in social media
- Experience in online camping and registration
- Ability to work with boards and committees
- Salary: $42,500
- Housing Provided
- Pension Provided
- Health Insurance Provided
The person called to this interim position will not be a candidate for the full-time directorship.
Applicants should send the following to The Very Rev. Ronald Clingenpeel (314-249-5908)/ email@example.com:
- One-page resume
- Three references (one of which must be an Episcopal diocesan executive officer)
- A two-paragraph statement outlining the role of an interim camp and conference center director
- All contact information
The position is currently open and will stay so until filled.