The Camp Director works alongside chaplains and camp staff to create a safe, fun and transformative camp experience for campers and staff. The Camp Director will be an energetic, flexible and empathetic leader who will guide the camp schedule, organize events and hire and manage staff. The Camp Director will work with the Program Committee to develop camp programs that align with the mission of the Ranch.
- Recruit, interview and hire camp staff
- Develop, plan and lead training of Seasonal summer staff and volunteer staff
- Ensure completion of alternate training where appropriate
- Counsel, discipline and evaluate camp staff
- Recruit chaplains and nurses
Recruit campers and maintain community relationships:
- Visit churches to meet campers and parents and to disseminate information
- Keep in communication with previous campers
- Connect with clergy and youth leaders throughout the Diocese
- Expand camp marketing program
- Oversee scholarship program
- Act as liaison to Diocesan Discipleship Ministries and other Diocesan institutions. Attend diocesan youth programs
- Clarify goals and themes of each camp and camp program as a whole
- Develop camp curriculum and schedules
- With Program Committee, identify additional appropriate camp programs
- Coordinate program materials and resources
- Develop camp budget with Operations Director
- Know state laws and guidelines of American Camping Association and Diocese of California, and ensure Ranch programs meet the standards.
- Develop and implement protocols, community agreements and rules for camp
- Oversee camper registration
- Oversee scholarship program
- Be immediate contact in case of emergencies or any unexpected programmatic needs
- Provide overall camp leadership and program support
- Make periodic reports to the Executive Director, Program Committee and Board of Directors
- Serve on the Ranch Program Committee
- Assist with diocesan youth and young adult programming
- Work on diocesan effort to develop collaboration between St. Dorothy’s Rest and The Bishop’s Ranch.
- Develop common registration and database
- Coordinate ACA accreditation for both sites
- Participate in coordinated camp meetings
- Maintain social media presence on Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Host groups as scheduled, includes nights and some weekends
- Other tasks as assigned by Supervisor
- Must be at least 25 years of age
- At least 3 years experience working with youth-related programs, preferably in a camping environment
- Awareness of Episcopal Church structure
- Comfortable leading Bible-based Christian programs.
- Sensitivity to other religious viewpoints
- This job requires extensive and enthusiastic participation in worship with camp staff and campers
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with different personalities.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Well-organized with attention to detail
- Able to work weekends as needed
- Willingness to travel throughout the Diocese of California monthly
- Flexibility and confidence to make changes as need arises
- Self-motivated and able to work with little supervision
- Ability to manage seasonal fluctuation of tasks
- Living on site at The Bishop’s Ranch is a requirement of the position in order to be responsible for all aspects of residential summer camps. Camp Director must be onsite while camps are in session. Residential positions ensure staff response in the event of an emergency as well as providing periodic hosting of groups.
Salary, pension, and health benefits. Housing is provided due to requirement to live onsite.